Kingston UCU Branch
Kingston UCU is run by you, it’s members. We hold regular branch meetings, as well as campaign events, drop-ins, activist meetings and extraordinary meetings in response to urgent issues facing Kingston staff.
Each year members elect a branch committee of officers and ordinary members, who are volunteers who give their time to take on different roles in the branch. Some of these roles come with ‘facilities’ time – time away from your job to do this work, including representing members in case work and negotiating with management.
As a branch we have a high level of case work and are always looking for members to help out and get more actively involved. It is only through collective strength and action that we win.
Participation makes a union strong!
There are many ways for you to get involved in UCU activity at Kingston:
- Come to branch meetings and events (see Events for details)
- Sign up to our discussion list (we recommend using personal email) UCUKINGSTONDISCUSSION
- Be a departmental contact (keep the committee updated with your colleagues’ opinions on workplace issues, and talk to your department co-workers about union actions and activities)
- Become a Kingston UCU Rep (training available, plus ‘facilities’ work time allocated for union duties). There are several unfilled posts on the branch committee.
- Share your skills and time! Your help is needed with building and strengthening the branch, publicity, research, events organisation, education, design…
Whether it’s a little time talking to your department colleagues, sharing branch publicity, getting involved in helping run a campaign, or becoming a trained-up Rep, it all makes a difference .
Let us know if you are currently experiencing a problem at work, or would simply like some advice.